Early Spring On the Bruce


 Since my last post spring migration has progressed noticeably in Bruce County, with many species Heading North.

 On March 24th I had a productive trip in South Bruce, seeing many new migrants. The best stop by far was the Kincardine Sewage Lagoons, where highlights were Gadwall, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon and 5 species of geese (Ross's, Snow, Canada, Cackling and Greater White-fronted). Ross's Geese are pretty uncommon in Bruce county (and all of Southern Ontario), with only 5 records on eBird. I took a digiscoped photo of the Snow and Ross's Geese, unfortunately they were distant and the picture didn't turn out very good. 

- American Wigeon and Nortern Shovelers

- Green-winged Teal

- Ross's Goose (right) and Snow Goose (left)


While at the Kincardine lagoons I also saw Eastern Meadowlarks, Turkey Vultures and a Red-shouldered Hawk.  
- Red-shouldered Hawk

   Some other recent Migrants in my area include Sandhill Cranes, Killdeer, Double-crested Cormorant, American Woodcock, Belted Kingfisher, Brown-headed Cowbird and Fox Sparrow.     
- (left to right) Common Grackle, Brown-headed Cowbird, Red-winged Blackbird

- Fox Sparrow

- Sandhill Cranes

- Sandhill Cranes

- Double-crested Cormorant

   Large groups of Ring-necked Ducks, scaup, Mallards, Green-winged Teal and Tundra Swans are currently passing over my area as waterfowl migration nears it's peak.


 - Ring-necked Ducks (left) Hooded Mergansers (right)

- Ring-necked Ducks

- Tundra Swans

  Some winter birds are still in the area, including Snow Buntings, Common Redpolls and Bohemian Waxwings. I have had a flock of 30 Common Redpolls in my yard for the last week, giving me some chances to photograph them.
- Common Redpoll

- Common Redpoll

- Common redpoll

- Bohemian Waxwings


  I have done a few hawkwatches in my yard over the last 2 weeks and have had a number of pretty exciting observations. 
I've combined my raptor observations from the last 2 weeks below.

 - 36 Turkey Vultures

 - 46 Bald Eagles 

 - 1 Golden Eagle

 - 3 Rough-legged Hawks 

 - 16 Red-tailed Hawks

 - 2 Red-shouldered Hawks 

 - 3 Northern Harriers 

 - 1 Northern Goshawk (not in my yard, but on my road)

 - 3 American Kestrals

 - 1 Merlin

 - 1 *Gyrfalcon* 

 The Gyrfalcon was the highlight raptor, it is a very rare for the area and was completley unexpected. It had been raining for most of the day on April 2nd and the only bird that I noticed fly over was a Turkey Vulture, so I was surprised when I saw a large falcon above my house. I was standing on my porch and as soon as I saw the bird fly over I ran inside to get my camera, but was in such a hurry on the way out that I didn't put my boots on. This resulted in me almost faceplanting in mud, then having to stand in a snowbank in my socks to get a photo of the falcon😅. My pictures are overexposed because I didn't have time to change my settings, but I am just happy that I got photos. 
- Gyrfalcon

- Gyrfalcon
- Gyrfalcon

  Photos of some of the other raptors.... 
- Bald Eagles

- Bald Eagles

- Bald eagles

- Red-tailed Hawk

- Merlin


   The weather forecast looks promising for the next week, with tempatures over 10°C. Some migrants I'm expecting back this week are Tree Swallow, Yellow-rumped Warbler and Eastern Pheobe. Exciting time of year for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...