Yard birding: April 8th & 9th

Just a quick update with recent sightings..

April 8th

Woke up at sunrise to see if any bird were around.. as it turned out, not really. After an hour of birding I had seen 31 species, but only a few of these were actually migrating. There were hundreds of geese and blackbirds flying north, but not much else on the migrant front. Some of the mornings highlights below;

- Common Goldeneye
- Great Blue Heron
- Sandhill Crane
- Common Loon (3 north in a group)
- Belted Kingfisher
- Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (FOY)
- Great Blue Herons 

- Common Loons

---------

April 9th

The wind was north/northwest and the sky was overcast in the morning, so I didn't bother waking up early. I walked down my road to "Kiah's Marsh" and found 2 Tundra Swans and a flock of American Wigeon, which was nice. I honestly was expecting the day to be a bust for birds, in the early aftenoon the sun came out and I noticed a few vultures flying north. I grabbed my camera and bins and walked out in my yard for a quick skywatch, hoping to get one raptor if I was lucky. I ended up spending over an hour hawkwatching as it was fairly productive. Highlights listed below;

- 3 Sandhill Crane
- 1 Common Loon
- 11 Double-crested Cormorant (yard FOY)
- 14 Turkey Vulture
- 1 Northern Harrier
- 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
- 2 Bald Eagle
- 1 American Kestral
- 1 Merlin
- 1 Peregrine Falcon (yard FOY, and only the 5th one I've had in my yard)

Some pictures below..
- Sandhill Cranes

- Turkey Vulture 

- TV

- Northern Harrier 

- Peregrine Falcon 

- Peregrine Falcon 


The next few days call to be cold with strong north wind.. so I'm doubting I will add much here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out the new blog/website!!

  In my last post I mentioned that I haven't posted much content recently because I was quite busy during the late fall of 2023... Well ...