Yard Birding : May 11th-17th

- May 11

It was a cold, rainy morning, so I slept in and didn't really go birding until after lunch. Nothing of note all day besides a Ruby-throated Hummingbird (finally here..). I did score patch lifer Trumpeter Swan down my road though.

New additions to yard yearlist;
- Ruby-throated Hummingbird 
Yard yearlist total at May 11th - 101
..................


- May 12

Another day of north wind and no new migrants.. a walk down to Kiah's Marsh turned up a Wood Thrush, but that was about it..
.................


- May 13

 Some improvement on the migration front! Even though the wind was north overnight, it was very light so there was still some nocturnal migration happening. Being hopeful, I was up and out in the yard at 6:00am to look for new arrivals. It was a chilly morning (-4°C when I went outside), so it was a long wait for the sun to climb over the treeline to warm me up. The birding was quite slow, but I managed to get 41 species before 8:00am. Highlights were;
- Common Merganser
- Pied-billed Grebe
- Common Loon
- Merlin
- Bobolink
- Rusty Blackbird 
- Orchard Oriole

The star of the morning was definitely a Male Orchard Oriole, which was a yard lifer and also new for my 5MR. It flew in, checked out the hummingbird feeder, then flew off again, so I was lucky to have seen him.
- Orchard Oriole

New additions to yard yearlist; 
- Bobolink 
- Orchard Oriole 
- Nashville Warbler   
 Yard yearlist total at May 13th - 104 

...............

- May 14

Finally some south wind! After a few weeks of suffering cold temps and N wind associated with the polar vortex, the flood gates are beginning to open. I awoke at 5:30am, grabbed my gear and went out in my yard.. The birding wasn't overwhelming, but I had a steady stream of FOY birds all morning. By 8:30, I was up to 66 species! Not a bad morning at all. Some highlights below..
- 1 Hooded Merganser 
- 1 Greater Yellowlegs 
- 10 Common Loons
- 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
- 2 Great Horned Owls
- 1 Red-headed Woodpecker! (only my 2nd yard record of this species)
- 2 Least Flycatchers 
- 1 Warbling Vireo
- 1 Gray Catbird
- 1 Veery
- 1 Wood Thrush
- 1 Savannah Sparrow (surprisingly rare in the yard)
- 9 Bobolinks
- 4 Baltimore Orioles 
- 1 Rusty Blackbird
- 2 Cape May Warblers 
- 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler
- 4 Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Morning flight was fairly quite besides Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers (probably 150 flyover warbs total).

Some pics..

- Baltimore Oriole


- Cape May Warbler 

- Savannah Sparrow 

- Least Flycatcher 


- Red-headedWoodpecker 

- Rose-breasted Grosbeak

 In the afternoon some shorebirds were reported just down the road from me at Isaac Lake, so I zipped down and scored a few yearbirds (Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper and Dunlin). Also had this sweet Blackburian Warbler down the road from me on my way home.          
- Blackburnian Warbler 


New additions to yard yearlist (14!);
- Red-headed Woodpecker 
- Blue-headed Vireo 
- Warbling Vireo 
- Least Flycatcher 
- Gray Catbird
- Veery
- Wood Thrush
- Savannah Sparrow 
- Baltimore Oriole
- Cape May Warbler 
- Chestnut-sided Warbler 
- Palm Warbler
- Common Yellow-throated 
- Rose-breasted Grosbeak
 Yard yearlist total at May 14th - 118 

................

- May 15

Up and birding @ 6:00am, but sadly it wasn't very productive. No FOY, but the Red-headed Woodpecker was still around. Just going to link my eBird list below...

Not much else of note during the previous day, but I did have a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at Kiah's Marsh (2nd 5MR record)
.............

- May 16

Another 6:00am morning, luckily much birdier than the previous day (would have fallen asleep otherwise). The weather was also nicer than the 15th, 8°C and sunny, which made standing outside for a few hours more enjoyable. I finished my morning at 51 species, not bad!.
Highlights were;
- 2 Common Loons
- 1 American Bittern 
- 1 Peregrine Falcon
- 1 Cliff Swallow (Yard lifer!)
- 5 American Pipits
- 11 Bobolinks 
- 2 Rusty Blackbirds 
- 1 Indigo Bunting

Some pics from my morning birding
- Peregrine Falcon 

- bad photo of the Cliff Swallow

- American Pipit


- indigo Bunting



In the afternoon I had a rather strange bird experience. I was just out in my yard, minding my own business, when a Vesper Sparrow dropped out of the sky and landed on my lawn. It then hopped up to my shoe, too close for my camera to even focus! Vesper is a tough bird to get in my yard (3rd record), so I was quite happy to nail it for the yearlist.
- Vesper Sparrow 


The day ended with flyover Cedar Waxings and a Great Black-backed Gull, not a bad end to a fun day of birding!

New additions to yard yearlist;
 - Cliff Swallow
- Cedar Waxwing 
- American Pipit 
- Vesper Sparrow
- Indigo Bunting
Yard yearlist total at May 16th - 123
 
.................


- May 17

There was east/southeast overnight, so I was hoping for some new birds. I headed out around 5:40am and birded the yard until 9:00am, ending up with a solid list of 63 species (8 yard FOY). It was overcast all morning, so I didn't get many good photos..
Highlights listed below;
- 1 Wilson's Snipe
- 2 Eastern Wood-pewees
- 1 Great Crested Flycatcher 
- 1 Yellow-throated Vireo (Yard lifer! On a roll with yard lifers.. 3 in the last week.)
- 1 Brown Thrasher 
- 1 Wood Thrush 
- 8 Bobolinks 
- 3 Rusty Blackbirds 
- 1 Tennessee Warbler 
- 3 Cape May Warblers 
- 1 Magnolia Warbler 
- 1 Blackburnian Warbler 
- 1 Black-throated Blue Warbler 
- 1 Pine Warbler

Pictures of the birds..
- Yellow-throated Vireo

- YTVI

- Cape May Warbler 


- Nashville Warbler 

New additions to yard yearlist; 
- Eastern Wood-pewee
- Great Crested Flycatcher 
- Yellow-throated Vireo 
- Tennessee Warbler 
- Magnolia Warbler 
- Blackburnian Warbler 
- Black-throated Blue Warbler  
Yard yearlist total at May 17th - 130  

............

That's it for now! The next week should be cray cray, so stay tuned for more posts.

Checklist of the week - easily this one https://ebird.org/checklist/S69022165

No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...