Migration… please


 Oh how I long for spring… yes, the past two months have been filled with so many exciting birds & experiences, so I’m not complaining :) but there’s just something special about spring migration, after a few months of winter I find myself desperately waiting for that first day of spring. Not March 20th, which is the first day of spring according to the calendar. I mean the first day of warm weather, migrating blackbirds, waterfowl and Killdeer. Sure, these are common birds I will see thousands of this year, but I still really want to see them! 


As is the case every year when March begins, I have started looking ahead on different weather forecasting websites, searching for a system that may bring that first push of birds. Right now I have my eyes on a low pressure system that will be hitting Ontario next weekend. Temperatures will be rising upwards to 16 degrees in Essex County, and strong southwesterly winds should hopefully push the first batch of spring migrants into the province. The system will be tracking up the Midwest, meaning we are east of the low and thus will get warm southwest wind (air is pulled inward in low pressure systems, with wind flowing counterclockwise around the centre of the low).


Predictions? 

- Lots of blackbirds

-the first large flocks of Northern Pintails and Tundra Swans

- Wood Duck

- Killdeer

- Pied-billed Grebe

- maybe the first Ontario American Woodcocks of the year

- some Cackling and Snow Geese mixed in with migrant flocks of Canadas 

- Tree Swallow maybe?

- maybe some wigeon… Eurasian?!


In reality it will probably be decent but not great! The counties along Lake Erie will be reaping the benefits of this, while north of there (where there is still a considerable amount of snow) probably won’t get much besides blackbirds.







Not sure yet if I’ll go anywhere… if things are looking particularly promising I may head down to extreme southwestern Ontario and go birding on the weekend. Not exactly a “big year mentality” trip, but I just want to see some migrants! 4 days away is still a long time for weather predictions, so I’ll likely end up deciding on Friday…

- eBird map of recent woodcock sightings, getting close! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...