February/March Review

 


I didn't do one of these posts in February, because frankly there just weren't that many new birds! Anyways here's the numbers part of the big year for those interested.  If not, look away now. 


From February 1st to March 31st, I have added 33 species to my yearlist, If we are talking about codes (mentioned in this previous post)... I added 13 code 1s, 11 code 2s and 8 code 3s. I finished March with165 species for the year, that means I have seen 47.5% of the birds that I need to see this year in order to beat the record. Want another random list fact? Well there's been 207 species seen in the province so far this year, so I've seen 79.7% of those.... Not too shabby. 

Overall it was a fairly quiet stretch, but that is to be expected as February and March are the worst months for rarities being found in Ontario. There were definitely some highlights though! The northern Ontario trip that I went on in February was without a doubt at the top of the heap in terms of highlights... Seeing three lifers (Great Gray Owl, Willow Ptarmigan and American Three-toed Woodpecker) and basically every possible northern specialty was a real treat, and driving the winter road to Attawapiskat was an experience that I won't soon forget. 


Highlight Birds in February/March


- Eared Grebe

- Townsend's Solitaire 

- American Three-toed Woodpecker 

- Great Gray Owl

- Willow Ptarmigan 

- Eurasian Wigeon 

- Eurasian Collared-Dove

- Northern Goshawk 



As far as winter birding goes, it has been an extremely productive few months and I have basically seen all of my targets!

Finches - 10/10

Owls - 10/10

Northern woodpeckers - 2/2

Grouse - 4/4 (Yes, the grand slam with Willow Ptarmigan)

Bohemian Waxwing - Yep!

Winter Ducks (Harlequin, Barrows & King Eider) - 3/3


And that's how it's done!



As far as rarities I've missed go, luckily there have been surprisingly few.


- Barnacle Goose

This bird was a one day wonder in Peterborough during mid March, and it was posted too late for anyone to chase. With some luck I should see this species in the next few weeks, but never know. 


- Dickcissel 

There was a bird seen at a bird feeder in Haldimand County a few years ago, but radio silence ever since. I'm not at all worried about missing Dickcissel (code 3), but it doesn't hurt getting it out of the way early. 


- Yellow-headed Blackbird 

Same as Dickcissel, again not a rare bird.... but there have been a few around this year. Mainly just me being lazy and not chasing them. I will definitely see this bird though so not a big deal.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...