2021 Big Year - Part 3, The plan

Part 3.

How will I approach the beginning of my big year? Read below for a brief description. 

I'll be based out of Brant County for most of the winter, so I'll be much closer to rarities in southwestern Ontario. I'll be chasing any rare birds that show up, as well as hunting for rarities and just getting in some general birding. Unlike a lot of my friends, I'm not a "winter lister", so I won't be wasting time chasing birds that will be common later in the year (like say, an overwintering Orange-crowned Warbler). 
At the moment there are relativity few rare birds kicking around in Southern Ontario..  White-winged Dove and Slaty-backed Gull notably, as well as some uncommon winter birds like Gyrfalcon, King Eider, Purple Sandpiper and Barrow's Goldeneye. My intital goal will be to get these out of the way.

I'll post about my strategy often, but for now this is the game plan..

Spend January birding southern Ontario, knock off the rarities and try to get all the winter specialities out of way (finches, a few ratpors, uncommon ducks etc). Below is a list of birds that I'll aim to have by the end of the month.

I'll be posting to the blog as often as I can, so stay tuned!

January Targets: 
Harlquin Duck
King Eider
Barrow's Goldeneye
Purple Sandpiper 
Black-legged Kittiwake 
Slaty-backed Gull 
Gyrfalcon 
Long-eared Owl
Pine Grosbeak 
Hoary Redpoll 

King Eider 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...