Back on the Bruce

After spending a few months down in Brant County, we arrived home on the peninsula at the beginning of the week. Our driveway had over a foot of snow in it, so the first day home was spent cleaning up the yard and unpacking. A quick walk down my road before dusk produced a Common Raven and a Northern Shrike... Classic Bruce County in the winter, hardly any birds, but the few species that are around are usually good ones.


- Tuesday was dominated by a major snowstorm, so birding was out. The only birds I noted were Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches and a Hairy Woodpecker at the feeders.


- Wednesday (this morning) was a fairly nice day weather wise, so I took a drive up the peninsula to  see what birds were around. I was hoping to turn up a Gyrfalcon as one was seen in the area earlier in the winter, but I was unsuccessful. There were some Snowy Owls around though, as well as Bald Eagles, Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks. 



I made a quick stop at the Lion’s Head Harbour, where I saw a White-winged Scoter, Red-breasted Merganser and the Harlequin Duck that had been spending the winter in the area.






On the way home I saw a Ruffed Grouse beside the road and a Red Fox being mobbed by Common Ravens.


It’s nice to be home...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...