Down Long Point Way

Just posting a quick update for today. 

This morning the American White Pelican that was found a few days ago by Tim Lucas was seen again near Port Rowan. It’s only a code 2 species on the provincial level, but they are never that common in southern Ontario. Anyway it was only a 50 minute drive for me so I zipped down and got around 11am. It only took a minute to locate once I arrived, one of those quick and easy chases. The views left much to be desired for through, the pelican was wayyy out in the bay and just looked like a distant white blob. It appeared to be sleeping when I first arrived, but after watching for a bit it sat up and flapped its wings a few times, revealing dark flight feathers and a long orange bill... proving that it wasn’t a buoy😅.


I tried digiscoping a photo, but it didn’t turn out great. Calling it a record shot is a bit of a stretch..

Since I was already in the area I headed over to Long Point for a bit of birding. A few stops along the causeway produced Sandhill Cranes,Tundra Swans, Canvasback and a Northern Harrier. The highlight was a Little Gull that I saw in flight with a distant group on Bonaparte’s. 
I only birded briefly in the new provincial park area, as there wasn’t much around save for a few Common Redpolls. 

I headed back to Paris in the afternoon, so that was it for my birding today. 19 new species for the yearlist anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...