Some Bruce Birding

The day after the Saugeen Shores CBC (Jan 5), I decided to spend the day birding around the northern part of the peninsula. Like the previous day it was mild and overcast, not bad weather for January on the Bruce. I was up at dawn heading up Hwy 6, with hopes that I might be able to find a Gyrfalcon (I saw one back in November in N Bruce) and also pick up a few yearbirds along the way. Long story short.. I drove a lot of concession roads and failed to turn up anything resembling a gyr, although I did turn around to scope this distant tree blob.
                          Anyone want to guess at it's identity?

I stopped in Lion's Head Harbour to look for the Harlquin Duck that had been at seen for a few weeks, and after a few minutes of searching I found it swimming along the shore with a Common Goldeneye. 

Some highlights from the day included;  8 Snowy Owls, Rough-legged Hawks, a few Northern Shrikes, Horned Larks and Snow Buntings. Also an Eastern Screech-owl calling in the evening at my place.

A few photos from the day below..
Yearlist at Jan 5th - 71

No comments:

Post a Comment

Panama Trip - Part 1

Just after midnight on the morning of February 22nd (I couldn't really sleep due to preflight jitters/trip excitement, so to me it was s...